gamer-geek

The ravings of an armchair gamer.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Herndon, Virginia, United States

I'm not really an emu, but I play one on TV.

Thursday, November 10, 2005

Han shot first

Being a geek, I obviously have lots of geek shirts, many of which don't really make sense to non-geeks, or different flavors of geeks. One of these proudly states in the Star Wars font, "Han shot first". It's also the geek shirt that my wife likes the most. So, I was wearing this shirt when we were shopping at target about two weekends ago, and one of the stockboys ran up and said "Cool shirt! I wanted to ask..." and I interrupted with a description of where I got the shirt, since he seemed interested. Then, as he's walking away, he said that he was wasn't sure what it meant. Gosh, silly me, I would have thought he'd know what the shirt meant if he thought it was cool. I explained it to him, and he nodded and said cool, but there was definately something lacking.

Then, this past weekend, we were getting a bird cage at a pet store and while checking out the cashier grinned at me and said "Cool shirt," at which point my wife began relaying the story of the stockboy at target. Of course, the cashier's face dropped a bit, and he interrupted "I wanted to ask what it meant." What's up with that? TWICE? Is there some sort of unconcious "that's cool" vibe that other geeks get, even when they have NO CLUE as to why it's cool?

And if you don't know what "Han shot first" is referring too... you're just gonna have to google it.

3 Comments:

Blogger raine studios said...

If they don't know what it means, THEY DO NOT QUALIFY AS GEEKS!

11/10/2005 4:01 PM  
Blogger krys said...

I think it's a sales strategy. feign interest and up the sale. but, hey, sales people are your friend!

11/11/2005 1:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

heck, we must qualify as the ultimate geeks...we named our band Han Shot First! Rock on!

1/12/2006 1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home