gamer-geek

The ravings of an armchair gamer.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Herndon, Virginia, United States

I'm not really an emu, but I play one on TV.

Friday, December 23, 2005

Gaming in the basement

At one point or another, most gamers have gamed in their parents basement. Exceptions are those who got into gaming later in life, or didn't have a basement, or gamed in their friend's basement. It seems that this is often referred to in a negative way by other people though. (such a negative comment is in the first episode of All Games Considered (see sidebar) which is what inspired this little post.) Usually this phrase is modified with "still", like "The worst geeks are those who are still gaming in their parent's basement." Sure, when you imply that a 30+ year old is living with their parents, that often has a negative social stereotype associated with it... but what's so wrong about gaming in the basement? I personally have many fond memories of gaming in many different basements! I certainly don't look back on it negatively at all. I've gamed in my parent's basement, the basement of many friend's houses (well, usually their parent's house), the basement of several dorms in college, and... well that's about it I suppose. It's just fun to game, no matter where you are. I look forward to many future memories of gaming in some basement somewhere. I'd say my own basement, but we need to contact one of these "finish your basement" companies that keep leaving flyers on our door first. Of course, they'll have to dig the basement and completely reinforce our house's foundation first, but they seem to think that won't be a problem, with the sheer number of flyers they keep leaving. Whoops. More gaming!

1 Comments:

Blogger Brooke said...

Hey!! Rumor has it that it's your birthday. Have a happy one.

5/13/2006 11:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home